Thursday, October 10, 2013

The Meat-Eating South

    This past weekend bow season began in Virginia. How it works is bow season comes in almost a whole month before muzzle-loader or regular firearms season comes in. I'm pretty sure people (including my brother, the hunter in my family) practice year round with the bow just so they can get a jump start on killing deer. But that's another story. The start of hunting season just has made me think about how essential meats are in a Southern diet.     The examples are obvious. My teacher, Miss Marconi, (Excuse me, Mrs. Williamson) blogged about "chicken fried chicken" that her Southern chef of a husband enjoys making. Venison jerky and "drunk and dirty"  venison tenderloin are staples in my house.  My uncle owns a pork business. Fried chicken clogs many an artery on Sunday afternoons.  The word "barbecue" means more than a cookout here; it is actually what we eat at the cookout. The list is endless.     However, I believe that meats are popular for a reason: competition leads to improved products. It's the iron law of free enterprise. While the competitions that Southern chefs engage in are quite ridiculous,  delicious meals are definitely made of them.  
    Cooking, grilling and sauteing bragging rights are valued more than children. 
    "You got a deer? Mine's more tender." 
    "My pork ribs fall off the bone easier than yours."
    "Step back son, while I show your uncle how to grill a steak."
    "This is my secret sauce that'll kick ya in the teeth."
    These are all commonly used phrases in Southern kitchens. While this kind of competition may split families, I sure won't be complaining at the dinner table this weekend.

2 comments:

  1. I'm hungry now, thanks Lacy. What is "drunk and dirty?" I have definitely heard a man say the second-to-last quote. It's not even so much a southern thing but a MAN thing, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drunk and dirty tenderloin is this delicious recipe for deer meat. I don't like venison very much- it is a little too gamey for me, but drunk and dirty tenderloin is a totally different story. You basically marinate the meat in soy sauce, bourbon, Worcestershire sauce, and some other stuff and then cook it in a smoker. Delish.

    ReplyDelete